Pictures, Views and Maps

The Pound from the church roof

If you have interesting, historical or amusing pictures of the area, send them through.

We will post them with your credit.

 

 
 
Visiting French and Belgian fashion designers called in at Oxborough and Gooderstone during April. These professionals, enthusiasts of 17th century fashion, wore authentic reproduction costumes of the period, seen here when calling at Gooderstone Swan.           



 

Conservators from Simon Swann Associates start work undertaking the restoration of our WW1 war memorial. This follows the War Memorials Trust notification that OPC was eligible for funding of parts of the conservation project and the balance being funded by private donation


 
Oxburgh Hall repairs well underway following the collapse of the dormer windows in August 2016
   
December 2016
 Oxburgh Hall ‘under wraps’, builders have erected scaffold on both the east and west faces of the courtyard
 
 
Summer 2017
New face of the court yard and tempory toilets
 

 

 

If you can identify any of the men in this photograph or have any idea of the date it may have been taken, if so please email the messenger oxbomessage@btinternet.com Any clues will be appreciated.

 
 

       

   
 Volunteer’s and staff came together to present a selection of  Carols during
Christmas
2014 to entertain visitors to Oxburgh Hall

 Diamond Jubilee Celebrations 4th June 2012
More pictures click

     


 

First Snow Fall 2012 5th February
Photos Elizabeth Mason

 

 

 

 



R&B Turf of Wolferton. Robert Frost Tel:01485 540645Northwold Rockery Stone based at Caters Coal merchants Gary Cater Tel: 01366 728342











                               
The parterre at Oxburgh Hall taken Bob Greef during July 2011.The parterre at Oxburgh Hall taken Bob Greef during July 2011.





                                                                                              

                       The parterre at Oxburgh Hall taken Bob Greef during July 2011. Click to Interest Page for more information
   

  Peter Oddey spent 13 hours, half a marathon,
drumming to popular music in the village hall
and raised over £2000 for the St. Johns Church fabric fund.

For more pictures click to Flicker file

 

                                                                                 St.Johns Church

 

     
     


 
The ruin of St Mary Magdalen's church, Oxborough Hythe
The ruins of St Mary Magdalen are situated in the garden of a property east of Ferry Road. The remaining north wall of the nave dates from around 1100, the east wall was rebuilt around 1400. The church was abandoned in late 14th century when the then new church of St John the Evangelist was built in the centre of village. The ruin is a scheduled ancient monument.


Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Evelyn Simak and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
 

 Aerial view of the village c1996 submitted by David Oxborough                                             


                                                   Historical pictures

 















                                                                            Kindly Contributed by Alan Fuller
Top Left: Oxburgh Ferry.Cottages that stood on the Oxburgh side of the Hythe.                                           Top Right: Oxburgh Rectory. Date unknown.

 

Though now all evidence of commerce has long vanished from Oxborough Hythe, there was a wharf that served the Oxborough estate and village. There were granaries for corn, and coal yards; and lighters and boats passed from hence to Lynn, Cambridge and other towns on the Wissy navigation.
The site of the Hythe buildings appears to have been at the edge of the higher ground about a quarter of a mile from the river. You may still walk past the Hythe and down to the river’s edge where a ferry used to operate, providing a route to the main Kings Lynn to Thetford road less than a mile away. The ferry, a flat-bottomed raft operated by chains across the river, was large enough to carry a horse and cart. It ceased to function about eighty years ago.
                                                                                       ++++++++++++++++++++++++
   

The new bridge linking Oxborough and Gooderstone

This is the completion of the bridge near what is now the sewage plant. It was completed in 1915 and replaced a ford and pedestrian footbridge which is still in place when the picture was taken.
 
This picture was contributed by Bob Greef.


                                                                     ++++++++++++++++++++++

Photos and captions were kindly sent in by Bob Greef, NT Volunteer Garden Steward at Oxburgh Hall and former Oxborough resident. These photos of Oxborough were rescued by Bob Greefs’ father Fred, when the Hall was sold in 1951.
 
















The arch is Church Lodge, (now occupied by National Trusts head gardener) when it was the main entrance to the Hall. The arch was bricked up between 1883 and 1904. The photo print was made from a glass plate negative by Paul Miles, NT head gardener during the 1970s. The picture on the right shows the arch freshly bricked up
.

       
 Ann Galloway outside Chapel Lodge prior to 1910.
This picture was sent to Bob by Barry Henfrey,
NT under gardener in the 1970s,
Barry is now living in Germany
      

                  

 
                                                                                                     
The picture with the horse, tumbril and church with spire still intact
is believed to show my father, Fred Greef some time in the 1920s
                                                                                                           
 St John  Tower
                                                   

 

April 1948

Photograph by Ruth Dwornik showing the remains
of the nave after the steeple collapsed.

 

 

 

This is a photo of the kitchen garden at Oxburgh Hall taken in about 1950.

The arrow indicates a rainwater tank on the eastern end of the remains of the Peach House. This tank is in fact one of the old acteylene gas generators used to provide lighting before electricity was installed on the estate.

The western half of the Peach House had already been demolished by then and replaced by a cold frame. Between the Peach House and the Stables can be seen the remains of the Hotbed Frame.

 
                         
         

Caption reads

Engraved by S. Rawle, from a drawing by F. Mackenzie,
for the Architectural Antiquities of Great Britain.

Oxburgh Hall, Norfolk

The seat of Sir RICHARD BEDINGFELD, to whom, &
to Lady Charlotte Bedingfeld,
this plate is respectfully inscribed by J. Britton


London published July 1. 1809 by Longman & co,
Paternoster Row,
and J Taylor, High Holborn



 
 






























                     Top Left: Oxborough 1946                                                                                                        Top Right: Oxborough 1988
               
            

                                        

                         Oxborough area 1869

                             Oxborough area 1891

 

                                                    By the time you can make ends meet, they move the ends.